May 13, 2013

Food Poisoning SUCKS

So....remember this really cute pic from last week of me and my sweet friend Nicole at her baby shower?

Well, the day after the shower, my sister and I went over to Mom & Dad's for fajitas & ritas to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. It was about 6-8 hours after those festivities that the fun (HELL) began. I would post a picture of what it was like, but I'll spare everyone the nasty images.

I woke up around 2:30am with HORRIBLE stomach pains. From then on, for the next 3 hours, I was up and down from the bed to the toilet. It was one of those situations where I was sitting sideways on the toilet with the shower curtain open, not sure what was going to happen when I actually made it to the bathroom. The vomiting started around 5ish and it was at that time that I knew there was NO way I would be making it to school. For the first time in my teaching career, I put in for a sub, unplanned, and told the sub to let the kids have "study hall". If you know me, you understand that is NOT what I like to leave for a sub - EVER! But, I was so stinkin miserable that I knew it was just going to have to be ok.

It was around that time that I checked my phone and realized my sister had gotten sick at about 1am that same night. We determined that it was food poisoning and started to think about & wonder what it could have been that we ate at Mom & Dad's that gave us such issues. Kristin & I were the only ones sick (so far), and we couldn't put our finger on the cause.

I will say that Monday was the worst I've felt in as long as I can remember. When people exaggerate and say they "puked their guts out", I'm always like, yea - ok. Now I know what they mean. That was how I spent the rest of the morning on Monday. I literally kept throwing up until there was absolutely NOTHING left in my body. It was one of those situations where I was throwing up & crying at the same time - I've never felt such awful stomach cramps. I even tried to sip water every 15 minutes to see if I could keep that down, but NOPE. Up the water came with the remaining bile I had left in my stomach. After trying to get ahold of the doctor with no luck (took them over 5 hours to call back), my dad ended up bringing me anti-nausea medication. Thank goodness my mom had some of that left over from her surgeries or I think I might have ended up in the emergency room!

As I'm laying on the floor of my bathroom, I get a text from Nicole saying "hey, did you guys get sick"? I replied right back and said - "Yes, I'm laying on the floor of my bathroom right now and have been sick as a DOG all night." It ended up being Ryan who was texting me and he said that over 20 ppl had gotten sick from the baby shower and that they were on their way to the hospital because Nicole was so sick. It all began to fall into place! Something in the catered food at the shower caused all of us to get sick - so bad that I was out of work 2 days, Kristin was out 1, Nicole went to the ER, and they had to delay their flight back to Florida. It was absolutely crazy to say the least.

Thank goodness my dad was well enough to bring me medicine (until a few hrs later when he got fever and started throwing up) and my mom was also feeling ok enough (her sick feeling was a little more delayed than the rest of ours) to deliver all sorts of supplies & food from the BRAT diet so I could have something bland to try and introduce back to my stomach! Idon't know what I would have done without the two of them and our iPhone group messages!

I ended up taking off on Tuesday as well just to give my body time to rest and finally felt good enough to get out of the house (that was the first time in over 48 hrs). Here I am out on a walk with my 2 boys on Tuesday - I think they were just as excited to get out of the house as I was. Poor things knew I was sick - they laid around by me all day Monday and Tuesday to keep me company.


And below, you'll see them after our walk. Let's just say I don't probably exercise them as much as I should because they were WIPED!


And one good part about taking off on Tuesday was that I got lots of grading done out on the porch with this lovely view. I just love my deck in the spring time!


Such a random picture below, but had to document this. I'm not good AT ALL about making my bed in the mornings. I seriously will go MONTHS with the decorative pillows on the floor without ever making the bed. This past week, I made my bed at least 3 times - now that's a record for me! I also would like to point out that my bed is a perfect place to throw clothes when you're changing and leave them there (which I do quite often). Notice how clean the foot of the bed is - yea, that's right!


And, finally, this is our group shot of all of our paintings from our special Mother's Day Painting With a Twist party. It was so much fun to have my whole family there, Cari & Barbara, and some of my dear friends and their parents as well. Kudos to Mom for planning such a fun event - I think the painting we did this time was much more up all of us Type A people's alley!


So, all in all, it turned out alright. The week started out on a HORRIBLE note and I never want to experience food poisoning again, but I'm glad everyone is feeling better and that we were all still able to enjoy our painting night and a good Mother's Day!

**Three posts in a row, y'all.....this might also be another record!**

2 comments:

  1. Hello Ashley,
    I have read your article. It is very nicely written, plus I get to know few more things about food poisoning. Keep writing such useful posts.

    Best Regards,
    Arnold Brame
    Health And Safety Consultant Peterborough

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on sites I stumbleupon everyday. It’s always helpful to read through articles from other writers and practice a little something from their websites.
    Please Read More: http://foodpoisoningsymptom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete